If you have begun to think about car donations as an option for getting rid of your old vehicle, you should be sure to donate it to a worthwhile charity. It can sometimes be difficult to determine which charities are better to donate to, but there are some simple ways to tell.
Things to Look for in a Charity
- If you are looking to be able to claim a car donation tax deduction, make sure that the charity you choose is a 501 (c) (3) organization. If it is not, you may just be out of luck.
- Find out what the charity would use your donation for and how much the proceeds would actually benefit the charity. For example, Rawhide puts 83% of donations toward their services and only 10% for administrative costs.
- Choose a charity that handles car donations Madison themselves. Many charities rely on a middleman to handle car donations, and the middleman ends up receiving a good majority of the proceeds, rather than the actual charity.
- Make sure the charity you choose is legit. You can typically find this out not only by looking at their website, but by speaking with one of their representatives. If they are not up front with information or refuse to answer your questions, be very wary of them.
- If you don't have time to transport the vehicle to the charity, choose one that offers free pickup of your vehicle.
- Make sure that the charity of your choosing is willing to give you a receipt for your donation. Without a receipt, you won't be able to claim a tax deduction for it.
- Choose a charity that means something to you so that you will feel even prouder of your contribution. For example, you may choose to donate to a charity that helps animals, children, the environment, etc.
If you are looking to begin your search for the perfect charity to donate to, look no further than Rawhide. This charity matches all of the criteria listed above and has been accepting car donations for years, so they know exactly what they are doing and can help you with every aspect of the process.